Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Concerned Citizen Documentary: Annette Morrell


This has been one of my favorite projects thus far. In this program, I want to focus on making documentaries, so any chance to make a documentary is always good with me. After several other plans fell through, Hannah and I decided to film my aunt who lives in rural Idaho when I went up for a little vacation this weekend. For this project, I was very much inspired by some of the videos that we watched for class, but most especially the "stoop sitters" video. This video was integral in the creation of this project for me, as I wanted to create something that was both visually engaging, as well as interesting to view. This video also influenced me to choose a topic that was really quite narrow. The person that we chose to interview is not travelling the world, giving polio vaccines to malnourished children. Instead, she is teaching rural high school students the art of good cooking, and is encouraging rural children to eat healthy, and to eat with their families. I thought that this topic was too small until we viewed the “stoop sitters” video. After viewing this piece, I realized that all efforts to make our communities a better place should be lauded, no matter how small those efforts might seem in the grand scheme of the world. While filming this video, I really wanted to portray that these efforts to increase the quality of life of rural high school students is not a small thing at all, really, and that this is a truly noble effort. I also wanted to portray the fact that this goal is her life right now, and that she lives in the same way that she is encouraging her students to live. She plants a garden every year that provides produce for both her students and her family, and she is always working to live simply, naturally, and in a wholesome way. The things that she is teaching her students are things that she really believes in, and are things that she lives, and I think that that is a noble thing. From outside media, I was influenced by a video that we watched for class about a month ago. This short video portrayed a man that was committed to wholesome living, and who made intense efforts everyday to live in a natural way. This was quite influential to me, as I thought about wholesome living as a concept, and how hard that must be to accomplish. This was instrumental in the realization that wholesome living is noble, and the desire to spread wholesome living to other people, particularly young people, is significant, and important, and should be celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment