Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Piracy Project - Put Your Shoulder to the Beat

For this week’s project, I thought about all of the things that have influenced me through the years. While there were many things to consider, I landed on a juxtaposition that has fascinated me for a long time. Allow me to explain. On my mom’s side of the family, our whole family history is that of pioneers, and people crossing the plains. I come from a long line of Mormon farmers from Idaho, all the way up to my grandparent’s generation. These were hardworking people who were close to the land; the exact type of people that are being discussed in the LDS Hymn “Put your Shoulder to the Wheel.” My extended family is still extremely hard working. My grandfather worked right up until he died of bone cancer, and my grandmother worked into her late 60’s, and still does volunteer work in her late 70’s. I have an aunt who runs a small organic farm in addition to teaching high school full time. The work ethic of these people is inspiring, and it is what I was raised on. In my family, we were expected to work hard, and to work for honorable things. However, I did not grow up in rural Idaho, where my tight knit, Mormon, hardworking extended family lives.
Until I was eleven, I grew up in Southern California, in an area very different from that of my ancestors. Here, the people worked hard too. But they did not live off the land, and they were not always working for honorable things. They simply worked hard to survive. My friends in elementary school went on to get pregnant, join gangs, deal drugs, and so on. I will never forget as a thirteen year old, getting the call that my friend Raphael from elementary school had been killed in a gang fight. He had been shot. We were in middle school.

 I have always found the dichotomy between my upbringing in Southern California, and my Idahoan ancestry to be an interesting mix. They do not match, or even correspond to one another. This piece is to show that juxtaposition between these two cultures. The heavy beats are to represent the culture of LA, and the LDS hymn is to represent the culture of Idaho. The purpose of this piece is to show that both of these groups of people are working incredibly hard, just toward entirely different things. For this assignment, I was inspired by the pictures that we viewed for class, where Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Queen of England were black and Indian. I enjoyed that these pieces questioned our perceptions of famous people, and much race plays a part how we view them. I was also inspired by the media that I had been exposed to as a child growing up in Northern LA, and the media that I had been exposed to while with my extended family in Idaho. Each of these influences played a large role in the choices that were made for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment